Hi everybody! I know I have been a little MIA on my blog recently. I’ve been putting some fun programs together for you guys so that has kept me a little busy! I am back though, and I plan on being more consistent so that you all can continue to have deliciously healthy recipes along with an expanding education around the areas of health and wellness.
With that being said… lets get on to the more important part of this… the recipe!
So a couple of things happened before I decided to make this dish.
For starters, I’ve had a really busy week and I haven’t made time to meal plan and go grocery shopping (see, we aren’t all perfect!). I’ve been settling for simple smoothies, Purium Powershakes and raw nuts to get me through the past few days. Needless to say, the ingredients left in my fridge consisted of a MASSIVE head of cauliflower, some organic spinach, colorful carrots and a box of Organic Chicken Bone Broth.
Secondly, I was recently feeling like my gut needed a little break from all of the food I had been consuming. Not that I am a terrible eater, but for me personally I enjoy giving my digestive tract a little break every now and again. By this I mean doing a couple days on smoothies, soups or juices- foods that are easier for the body to break down and highly nourishing. I definitely wanted to incorporate the bone broth into this dish because of the gut healing and immune system supporting compounds that it has.
Bone broth is very high in minerals and other compounds that can help heal the digestive tract and that are highly nourishing to the body. It is one of the most amazing SUPERfoods that I have just started adding into my diet and it makes for an amazing source of protein. Read more on the benefits of bone broth, here.
Lastly, I recently discovered that I have a mild allergy to soy, eggs and dairy so making a cauliflower soup without milk or any other ingredients that may internally irritate me was a must. If any of you have any of these allergies or sensitivities, I’ve got you covered because as of right now and probably for the next little bit I am going to be excluding these from my diet.
So getting on to that recipe….
It’s so simple to make and tastes even better on a rainy day (like today was in Florida). Whether you’re staying in this weekend because of rain, or out and about, this recipe is one that fits into all occasions. Enjoy a bowl now and then store it in your fridge for later to have a quick and extremely nourishing meal right at your fingertips!
Ingredients: Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 45 min
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups colorful carrots (chopped)
- 3 cups organic bone broth (chicken)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups organic spinach
Instructions: (Make sure you have a pot big enough with a lid) 🙂
- Fill pan with 4 cups of cauliflower and 8 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Once cauliflower is al dente drain and set it aside
- Using the same pan, bring it to medium heat and add the coconut oil
- Add 2 cups of colorful carrots and saute for 5 minutes
- Add drained cauliflower and saute for 5 minutes
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add bone broth, water and spices and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, turn down to simmer and cover for 20 minutes
- Add spinach and cover for 5 more minutes
- Serve right away or store for later!
Have you tried bone broth yet? How do you use it in your recipes?