Nothing is better than a super simple soup that you can make once and eat for 3 or 4 days straight. If you’re anything like me, you want to have good healthy meals on hand all of the time. This cabbage soup is one of those quick and easy meals that you can make over and over again- and it never gets old!
Cabbage is so versatile. You can put it on tacos, make salads with it and even ferment it to make sauerkraut. Its also got major health benefits too. It’s known to have high levels of anti-inflammatory compounds (known as glutamine) and it can also aid in weight loss due to its high fiber content. No wonder everyone was on the Cabbage Soup Diet in the ’80’s!
It’s full of Vitamin K which is a fat soluble vitamin that our bodies need in order to do important functions such as blood clotting and keeping our bones strong.
It’s been said that cabbage is one of the world’s healthiest foods. But besides having an amazing amount of health benefits, it makes an AMAZING base for a soup. Whenever I feel like I need to do a quick cleanse or mini-detox, cabbage soup always comes into play. It’s easy to make and it hold well in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
I made this soup solely to add into my diet this week to help cleanse and give my body some extra nutrients. I will sometimes add sprouted lentils to this meal to make it more hardy and to add a good source of plant-based protein to it. Feel free to spruce it up however you see fit for yourself!
Ingredients: [Serves] 4-5
- 1 medium sized green cabbage (roughly chopped)
- 3 large carrots (sliced thin)
- 1 medium sized vidalia onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt (more or less depending on your preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 32 oz. box Pacific Brand Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
- 6 cups water (or enough to cover vegetables while cooking)
Instructions: [Prep Time] 20 minutes [Cook Time] 25 minutes [Total Time] 45 minutes
- Bring big pot to medium heat and add oil
- Add onion and saute till clear
- Add carrots and saute till soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add chopped cabbage and saute till wilted (about 5 minutes)
- Add garlic, vegetable broth, water and spices and bring to a boil
- Once boiled, turn to simmer and cover for 20-25 minutes
- Check and make sure veggies are of desired texture
- Serve or store for later!
What type of recipes do you use cabbage in? Share with me below!